A builder or vendor applying for a licence as a first-time applicant must meet the competency requirements put in place under section 38 of the New Home Construction Licensing Act, 2017 (NHCLA).
All first-time applicants for a licence must demonstrate the following technical and business competencies as a prerequisite for licensing:
- Business Planning and Management
- Financial Planning and Management
- Project Management and Supervision
- Legal Issues in Housing
- Customer Service and Tarion Requirements
- Building Codes *
- Construction Technology *
The required competencies may be held by one person, or collectively held by a group of people such as principals, directors or officers, or employees within the organization.