Click through the tabs below to learn more:
Code of Ethics
Section 84 (1) (f) of the NHCLA and O. Reg. 245/21 (effective July 1, 2021) establish a Code of Ethics for licensees, which sets out clear ethical standards that Ontario’s home builders and vendors must meet. Section 57 of the NHCLA and O. Reg 245/21 set out the establishment of Discipline and Appeals Committees.
The Registrar may refer a matter to the Discipline Committee if the HCRA receives a complaint about the conduct of a licensee and the Registrar believes that the conduct may have violated the Code of Ethics.
The Discipline Committee hears and determines whether licensees have complied with the Code of Ethics.
The Discipline Committee may order a licensee to:
- Take further educational courses
- Fund educational courses for persons that the licensee employs or to arrange and fund the courses
- Impose a fine up to a maximum of $50,000 to be paid to the HCRA
- Suspend or postpone the taking of further educational courses, the funding or the arranging of educational courses or the imposition of the fine for the period and upon the terms the committee designates
- Fix and impose costs that the licensee is required to pay to the HCRA
The Appeals Committee hears and determines appeals of determinations and/or orders from the Discipline Committee. The Appeals Committee has the same orders as the Discipline Committee.