deciding on a builder
what you should know
Before you make your final decision to work with a licensed builder, your research and conversations should give you an understanding of the following information:
- The neighbourhood that the builder is working to build.
- Design of the individual home (including the parts of the design that are optional).
- Services that the builder provides throughout the home-buying process, including after you make the purchase, during construction, and before you move-in.
- When your home will be ready.
- Warranties that are provided by the builder, and backstopped by Tarion.
- The home-buying process.
Please be aware that, as part of the licensing requirements for home building in Ontario, builders must demonstrate that they have the technical competencies to be able to deliver quality product and service to consumers. One of the competencies that builders must demonstrate is customer service; the HCRA ensures that licensed builders are trained and able to deliver a high standard of customer service to home buyers.